Is there anything more beautiful than a great topic sentence? Probably not. Here are ten of the best topic sentences ever. Prepare yourself.
- Even though history often portrays a decisive split between the North and South in regards to attitudes towards the practice of slavery, many Northerners kept slaves as domestic servants.
I know, right? And this is just the beginning.
- While I agree that standardized testing does not always accurately reflect a student’s aptitude, I also recognize that is the most efficient way of evaluating millions of students.
Woah. Point, counterpoint, and on to paragraph victory.
- The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne is much more about hypocrisy than it is about shame.
Could you have said this better?
- Accounting classes are important because they prepare students not only for their future careers, but for their future lives as well.
The repeating of “future” though. #parallelismfordays
- The study also reported greater weight loss in participants that drank at least eight glasses of water a day, signaling the importance of hydration in a healthy lifestyle.
Somehow this guy managed to fit a claim and evidence into a single sentence. What have you done with your life?
- By calling a December recess “holiday break” rather than “Christmas break,” the company provides a welcoming and inclusive atmosphere for its diverse staff.
You bet she went on to define a welcoming and inclusive atmosphere.
- Water often symbolizes rebirth in literature.
Can I get this tattooed on my lower back?
- Providing up-to-date news with little bias, The Washington Post remains one of the most influential news sources for the Mid-Atlantic region.
Okay, this writer has to be better than at least 75% of the Republican presidential candidates.
- The poet’s use of alliteration and anaphora represents the urgency and power of his growing sexual desire.
The only thing more solid than the mental erection I get from reading this is this writer’s topic sentence skills.
- The saying “Don’t judge a book by its cover” is quite misleading, as cover design is a huge component of the publishing industry.
That’s it. We are all incompetent.